Thursday, January 7, 2010

Florida

I'm not going to lie-- I saw good portion of Florida through a van window. Sarasota, Naples, Venice Beach, Fort Meyers Beach, Capiva and Sanibel keys, Port Charlotte, and everything in between. The weather was less than lack luster. Two days were quite nice and came with a sun burn. The remaining three days were over cast, one accompanied with 12 inches of rain in Punta Gorda. When we weren't in the van on those cloudy days looking for a place to eat, the turn for the airport, or this shop or that, we spent as much time as allowable on the beach without facing some sort of mal effect from the wind chill. Yeah, that's right-- I said wind chill. When I left Minnesota, the last thing I expected to hear from the Weather Channel were warnings of frost, freeze, and wind chill. Those, however, were the cards we were dealt.

My favorite part of the vacation?

Well, it wasn't my time in the van, as enjoyable as that was. The van ride was needed to get there, though. In route the Sarasota International Airport, we took a pit stop on Siesta Key. Now, it might be a little known fact that I actually like kids (especially fun, energetic ones). And, as it turns out, I also like to act like a kid. Despite the dismal temperature, we still kicked off our shoes, soaked up the minimal sun, and played a rousing game of tag on the beach for nearly an hour. Tag backs allowed with only the swift and nimble left standing.

Kids and adults acting like kids playing tag on the beach-- hands down most memorable event of my vacation.

(It might have been the fact that my calves hurt for three days after prancing around the beach on my toes attempting to evade the tags of little people which made the occasion more poignant. On the other hand, it could have been the smiles and laughter that chaperoned the release of pent up energy that sealed the deal.)






Have you seen my feet?

Naples is apparently the home of the Escalades and other fancy vehicles.

Tin City, Naples.



Somewhere between Fort Myers and Naples





The contents of my pockets most days: minimal change, a few shells, and lots of sand. What isn't shown is the pack of Rollaids I also lived on.

Captiva Key







My peeps sporting our matching bracelets.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mari these are amazing! I especially love the one of the contents of your pocket, the birds on the shoreline, and the "relax" painted in the sand. You amaze me more and more everyday. I love you!